(Online on Discord)
/9. 09. - 11. 09. 2022/Online/ On Discord
Virtual Hackathon will take place between the 9th of September and to 11th of September 2022 online on Discord.
Making rural territories greener and more sustainable through the setup of relevant, innovative tools for a subset of users; give new life to disused assets in unexpected, eco-friendly ways; benchmarking co2 emission calculators with reference to various dimensions of public life… the SMART-Y’s EU Virtual hackathon will bring multi-nationality teams of young people from across Europe together, in a virtual environment, uniting them under a single purpose: infusing creative energy to solve rural policy challenges.
Objectives of the course:
to allow young people to become protagonists of local policy-making processes through the use of creative, digital tools and techniques
- to develop the open challenges among which 12 winning ideas/teams will be further developed during the cross-border “Idea development & prototyping” workshops
- to foster youth competences and soft skills to cooperate at transnational level, within multi-nationality teams
- to favor the acquisition of digital knowledge and skills through the use of creative and digital tools applied to non formal learning formats
- to enhance the collaboration between youth organisations in a digital context through and by non-formal learning and alternative organisational models as new ways to empower youth, also as a form to deal with the Covid-19 crisis and its aftermath
- to understand the potential of cross-border solidarity and collaboration in a view to face common challenges, solve problems and promote a shared vision of the future with innovation and creativity thanks to opportunities offered by the European Union
Working language: English
Number of participants: 100
Participating countries: Greece, Slovakia, Poland, Italy, Slovenia, Norway, Spain, Romania, Austria, Cyprus
- 10 participants 18-35 years old
- Keen to increase knowledge on the subject of the project.
- Motivated to address critical thinking and media literacy in their communities, as well as issues related to youth internationally, and issues related to democratic citizenship.
- Ready to work in an intercultural learning environment, to contribute to successful project implementation.
- Motivated to take part in Erasmus + project, work in an international team and share their experiences in the follow-up period;
- Have a communicative level of English and be able to take part in preparatory online meetings, youth exchange and follow-up activities.
A hackathon, or hacking marathon, is an event where participants of all experience levels and specialties come together to solve important problems by coming up with innovative ideas and “hacking” together cool projects. At the end of a hackathon, you show your idea to a panel of judges for a chance to win!
You will have to organize with your team to coordinate when to be active and distribute the tasks. Working at your own pace.
The teams with the highest score will win an all-covered trip to Austria, or Poland for the next step!
The themes of the event are:
– Transportation and infrastructure
- Lack of sustainable and inclusive transportation (including lack of green, eco-friendly means of transportation, lack of transportation for vulnerable groups e.g. groups with fewer opportunities)
- Poor sustainable and green infrastructure (including lack of safe bike laces, lack of electromobility infrastructure, and lack of effective parking in urban areas)
- Not sufficient conditions of the public transportation
- Lack of decentralized green services (including poor sustainable connections among urban and rural areas, lack of uber-like connections)
- Absence of Youth Clubs as a place of gathering and activation of young people around green issues
- Absence of leisure-time spaces for youth and their not sufficient conditions
- Lack of zero-emission digital infrastructures in rural and remote areas (including simple connection to internet)
- High level of Youth Unemployment and lack of career opportunities for young people in rural areas.
– Education and civic engagement
- Absence of quality education around green topics in rural communities
- Low level of eco-literacy across multiple generations (youth, adults and seniors).
- Absence of pro-environmental culture and activism in rural areas
- Low level of youth engagement towards green issues and their solutions
- Lack of responsibility and action from both politicians and citizens towards green issues in rural areas
- Lack of easy access to reliable information sources for kids, youth, and adults regarding green and sustainable practices
- Lack of investment in green education by local and regional authorities
- Lack of opportunities for active involvement of youth in local, national, and international politics around green issues
- Absence of opportunities for developing competencies needed for the 21st century in formal and nonformal education in rural and remote areas
- Unsustainable food education
- Lack of opportunities for self-development in the green field in rural villages
- Lack of green cultural events (e.g. Green cinema, festivals) in European remote areas
– Environment and resource management
- Lack of green places in urban areas
- Lack of Strategic plan to prevent wildfires
- Lack of response to pollution acts from the authorities and stakeholders (including no fines or repercussions applied for polluting, no collaboration with CSR departments)
- Drought – lack of water
- Lack of accessibility to green areas
- Illegality – eco criminality (including incorrect waste disposal, avoidance of relevant taxes)
- Low level of access to healthy food
- Low accessibility to sustainable food options
- Lack of effective & sustainable waste management
- Marine pollution, especially concerning the plastic litter in the oceans and the coastline
- Waste of food and clothing
- Absence of sustainable production – production focused on sustainability and decreasing the ecological footprint.
- Lack of energy independence (dependence on non-renewable sources of energy)
How to apply for the project?
Send us your CV (in English) + motivation about why YOU should go to this project at firstname.lastname@example.org
INFOPACK can be found HERE!!!
Deadline to apply: 9.08.2022
The project is financially supported by the Erasmus + program.